Tuesday, May 13, 2008

6 Days on the Road...




More like about 5 weeks on the road if you really want to be accurate. A 14 hour drive on Saturday begining in Columbus, GA, and ending at my front door brought my first, real, working "roadtrip" to a close. Overall I think it was rather successful. But that didn't mean it didn't have it's share of let downs too. As you may have read earlier, my cameras, actually my card reader went to hell. Overnight shipping is a wonderful thing even though I did lose several days of working. One particular 2 day job went to pieces in a matter of 3 e-mails and 2 hours. One of many high points was some unexpected "rush" work for one of my regular clients. It couldn't have come at a better time.


A meeting in TN at the Sawbriar Hunting Lodge landed me a gig of hosting a day long Outdoor Photography Seminar. I'll have more details later but we're thinking of having it in the early fall. Another meeting at the offices of Jordan Outdoor Entrp., (Realtree), found me eating my first crayfish, mud puppy, crawdaddy, whatever you want to call it. I don't think I'll be having a meal of them anytime soon. Some of the folks in attendance did seem to enjoy them more than a bit as the foot high pile of sucked crayfish carcasses attested to. I think I'll save my next craws for the lake perch, as it was meant to be. I did get a chance to see one of my first images shot for Realtree in a layout for a hangtag. That's the "tag" that "hangs" from the sleeve or waist of clothing with the Realtree pattern. I never knew it had a name either.
Currently I'm in the midst of getting about 5000 images shot over the last few weeks organized and into the hands of clients. I can probably have them done in a week or so but 6 months seems mch more likely. Next major trip will be a week in FL in Islamarada shooting, yep, fishing. I should be ready to get there in a week or two. Hopefully this trip will provide me with enough photos to put together a short DVD slide show for the upcoming ICAST show in Vegas. It will be my first ICAST. Other trips still out there are Sioux Falls SD for the POMA conference, maybe a hunt for antelope in WY, a consumer hunting show in Memphis, TN and very likely another trip to Nashville for a bit of work and some striper and fly fishing.
The photo above is one of my favorites of the trip. In it is 3 generations of Bailey's, Bob, Steve, and Curtis. Curtis took the long way around in explaining his latest turkey kill to his grandpa.

No comments: